Which Way to Go Upon Recieving Wedding Gifts
Congrats, you’re engaged! You know what’s next. Marraige. When you get married and you decide to have a wedding and then you think about wedding gifts. Which are you considering on having, the traditional, having a registry, or the wishing well? Which is the best choice and which is the worst choice? Here’s some tips and advice that could maybe help you choose.
If you like surprises, then the traditional style gift giving is the way to go. You don’t have any gifts you really have in mind that you would want or need so just leave it in the hands of your guests to choose.
So ladies, is that the ideal choice?
- Does your family have follow customs? If so, I suggest doing gift giving the traditional way.
- The gift could be unique or creative. Maybe they want to create a gift with pottery.
- The gift could be something that is passed down for generations. I have seen where in some families, they would pass down a necklace, or something similar, as a wedding gift that all the ancestors had.
But what if you know what you want and you don’t want something you will never use in your life? Get a wedding gift registry.
What’s great about doing a registry?
- You get the gifts you want.
- You can make sure you don’t get something that you already have, unless you want more of the same thing.
- It makes it easier for the guest to not stress about what to get you. If you don’t have a registry, they could possibly be running from store to store or looking online feverishly, searching for the perfect gift they could get you and hoping that what they get you is something that you would like.
If you just want to buy your own wedding gifts yourself, then the last option would be to just get the wishing well. It’s just a fancy money-for-gifts donation box.
It’s popular but is it the right choice?
- As stated, you get money instead of an actual gift.
- It might come off as offensive or awkward. They might think you wouldn’t like a gift from them in the first place and just want money.
- You won’t get that thankful and heart-warming feeling that you would normally get when you see and recieve a gift.
It can get difficult choosing which type of way you want to recieve wedding gifts. The traditional wedding gifts idea just means that you just want to go with the flow with, doing what had been done for years on recieving gifts. If you have a registry, your guests can see what you would want as gifts, unless you don’t have a clue what you want. I would not suggest doing the wishing well though. It might be better etiquette presenting the idea that you would rather recieve gifts instead of just money. But no matter which way you choose upon recieving those gifts, it’s how happy everyone, especially you and your spouse, is that counts.
Marie Kouroulis is a marriage celebrant at Marriage Ceremonies Melbourne