A good pair of jeans is that one wardrobe staple so essential you might just take it to a desert island with you. However, finding the best pair of jeans for you can be a really hard task. For some people, this quest goes on for their whole lives. After trying store after store they seem to have no success. Also, there are so many different styles of jeans to choose from today that it can take weeks just to sort through them all. However, believe it or not it is possible to find the perfect pair of jeans. Here are just a few tips to help make this dream become a reality.
Know Your Waist and Belt Size
The first thing you need to have to pick the correct jeans size is a belt sizing chart for men or women. This way you can know exactly what sizes you need and are looking for. According to Grip6, a good belt fit conforms to these specifications:
- It will be two inches wider than your physical waist or hip size (depending on where you like to wear your belt).
- Your actual belt size extends from the belt buckle to the hole you prefer to use to secure the belt.
- If you aren’t sure what your belt size is because you don’t normally wear belts, you can use the waist size of your best-fitting pair of pants.
- Another option is to just measure your actual waist size with a measuring tape and then add on two inches and that is your belt size.
You can then use this measurement to select a pair of jeans that will fit you well at the waist. This is key because jeans that fit you properly at the waist will not ride up or slip down and create the dreaded “muffin top” effect.
Choose Leg Styles That Provide Balance
Just as people come in all heights, widths, shapes and sizes, so too do jeans today. From boot cut to skinny, flared to trouser cut, straight hip to “the boyfriend,” you have plentiful options to sift through, but how do you know which styles will most flatter your shape? The first step is to identify your body shape. According to The Jeans Blog, the most common body shapes matched with the best styles are as follows:
- The round. Skinny or trouser.
- The triangle. Bootcut or wide-cut flare.
- The rectangle. Skinny flare or boyfriend.
- The hourglass. Skinny, skinny flare or flare.
- The square. Straight hip/wide leg or boyfriend.
Consider Stretch Denim
No matter what size or shape you are, there is one style of jeans that is near-universally flattering, and that is any pair made out of stretch denim. As the name implies, stretch denim will stretch and move with you, almost like a thicker pair of comfortable leggings. So if you are curvy, it will hug your curves without constricting your movements. If you are more athletic, stretch denim will stick with you rather than sagging like more rigid materials often do.
Hi-Rise Can Keep Your Line Sleek
Finally, unless you are a professional athlete sporting a six pack, you may want to ensure that your midsection isn’t continually being put on display in your new jeans. Hi-rise jeans are thankfully back in style. These higher-waist jeans can help you maintain the smoothest possible line.
Ultimately, there is no substitute here for trying on different jeans styles to pick your favorite. Be sure to sit, stand, bend and move around before deciding the pair really does give you a good fit. After taking the jeans for a test run, you will know if you have found “the one” for you.